La vita a Milano

As I am coming towards the end of my first month here, I can't help but think about how quickly it went by and how quickly the rest of my time here will go by as well. It seems like I have been here for months and not weeks and I'm kind of amazed at how well I have been adjusting. As someone who barely took public transportation in high school and college, Milan has forced me to become a quick learner. I have to take the metro at least twice a day, so it has become natural to hop on and off the train. Luckily, there are only about 5 lines and it's very simple to use. Milan is also a very small city and you can walk almost anywhere pretty easily.
Aside from adjusting to living in a city and taking public transportation, studying abroad has forced me to reduce my dependence on technology. I still have my iPhone with me at all times, but now I can only use it when I have wifi. This means no Google Maps when we're lost, no Google translate, and worst of all, no Instagram. I do have an Italian phone, but I can only use it to text and call. This has forced me to use a paper map, ask people for directions, and pay attention to what's around me rather than what's on my phone.
I have trips planned for almost every weekend while I'm abroad, but I'm glad I spent this weekend in Milan. I was able to leisurely explore more of the city. On Friday night we went to Navigli (canals) with other people in my program who were in town for the weekend and had an aperitivo and hung out at colonne (the columns), which is basically a church with an open area in front surrounded by columns and different bars. It's where people hang out and drink in Milan and it's a fun place to hang out with friends when you don't want to go to a bar or club. On Saturday we were able to sleep in and then we walked all around the city and went to the Castello Sforzesco and Parco Sempione.
the cutest (and smallest) puppy I've ever seen // Parco Sempione, Milan
After that I was able to go to Chinatown for the first time and it was so bizarre. It was weird seeing so many Asians in Italy and hearing them speak Italian. However, I am definitely going back because I found milk tea and Asian markets!
After that we made dinner at the boys' apartment and finished off the night at Le Banque, a cool looking club that used to be a bank located near the Duomo.
On Sunday, we decided to go back to Navigli for the giant vintage market they have there on every fourth Sunday. It worked out perfectly that I was in Milan when it was going on. It was gigantic and had so many cool things. There was vintage furniture, cameras, jewelry, and lots of designer bags! I was lusting so much over the vintage Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes. I really want to get a designer item while I'm here, but I might choose going on a trip over buying a bag. After all, experiences are better than things.
After the vintage market we went back to the castello because on Sundays from 4:30-5:30 pm, admission to the museum is free. We explored the castle a little more and began to head home at 5:30 because we were exhausted.
I cooked dinner at home and relaxed before my very first day of real classes tomorrow! I'm so excited to finally get into a routine and stop feeling like I'm on a really long vacation, but at the same time I know being in class is going to make time go by even quicker. I am loving la vita a Milano so far and am excited for the next few months and all the adventures to come!
ciao! xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Noel Utsugi + Tyra Ippongi